Update: Thanks to long time listener Thomas from Tuscaloosa AL for the above image. Higher Res version here
WTF?!! - I think that sums up the reaction of anyone with an iPhone 4 - that found out that in iOS 6 - the long sought after feature of turn by turn navigation - will NOT be available for them, neither will other features announced and even more will be missing for the iPhone 3GS. From Apples site - http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/
- Features are subject to change. Not all features are available on all devices.
- ...Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later....
- Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access...
- Shared Photo Streams requires iOS 6 on iPhone 4 or later or iPad 2 or later, or a Mac computer with OS X Mountain Lion...
- FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability...
- VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
- Offline Reading List will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
- Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S...
If you want turn by turn directions with iOS 6. Only the iPhone 4S and iPhone 2012 will support turn by turn. iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS owners sorry no soup for you. Which again brings us back to the WTF phrase going through most peoples minds that own the 3GS or 4. Clearly the iPhone 4 and even 3GS can handle turn by turn directions - Tom Tom, Navigon and others have been offering up apps that do that for some time now and work great on the 3GS and 4.
So the only real and logical reason for Apple to not include it is simply a marketing decision to get you to upgrade early. But really Apple if turn by turn was what would drive someone to upgrade - would they not have upgraded to an android phone where that feature is standard on even the most run of the mill get it free with a 2 yr contract type android phone. So Apple Shame on your for not getting Turn by Turn navigation working on the iPhone 4 and 3GS. You know you are still actually selling those devices. Just Sayin.
So a quick summary of what you will miss out on for the iPhone 4 and 3GS in iOS 6
iPhone 4 - No Soup for You Features:
Turn by Turn Navigation
Any Siri Features
Facetime over Cellular (Really???)
Made for iPhone Hearing Aids (This one is likely Bluetooth 4 related)
iPhone 3GS - No Soup for You Features:
All those mentioned above for iPhone 4
Shared Photo Stream (Stick with instagram)
VIP List, VIP and Flagged Smart Mailboxes (Again Really???)
Offline Reading Lists
Clearly looking at this list there are features missing from the iPhone 4 and 3GS that can only be explained by one word - MARKETING. Expect to read / hear more about this in the months to come.
-- posted at: 11:12pm EDT